Sync serial bridging over Ethernet, was Re: [HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Thu Jan 17 22:48:59 PST 2013

From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>

I'd do it with an HDLC/SDLC-capable chip like a Z8530...offload as
much from the firmware as possible, leave those cycles for protocol
handling.

FWIW, I'm in the middle of writing a Z8530 driver for E11 (in heavily
commented x86 code), which I'd be happy to contribute (after modifying
as needed) if you aren't already neck-deep in SCC code.

Wrapping the data in UDP is simple.   The HDLC layer could deal with
error detection/correction.

Yes!

Careful -- UDP doesn't guarantee in-order delivery.
How does HDLC feel about little surprises?

John Wilson
D Bit