Sync serial bridging over Ethernet, was Re: [HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Thu Jan 17 22:14:56 PST 2013

I'm not working on anything now - I just came up with the idea.   I did some Googling, and there seems to be commercial units, all around $1K per end (async is much cheaper).

Microcontrollers and digital electronics is another one of my hobbies.   Async serial is simple for a microcontroller to handle.   I've never actually looked to see if there's any synchronous libraries out there.

Wrapping the data in UDP is simple.   The HDLC layer could deal with error detection/correction.

The problem is finding surplus time to embark on this.   Maybe a few of us could collaborate on it?

Ian