Sync serial bridging over Ethernet, was Re: [HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 21 12:54:31 PST 2013

On 01/21/2013 03:50 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I use plain old xterm for talking to my DEC machines.   I use
gnome-terminal for everything else.   Out-of-the-box xterm works
reasonably well, and all in all I'm pretty happy, but I have loved EDT
since I was a kid, and not having a full keypad sucks.

gnome-terminal from GNOME2 or GNOME3?

  GNOME2, the useful one. ;)   Technically it's MATE Terminal, as I
jumped ship from Ubuntu to Mint when the Ubuntu guys started getting
"big head" problems and messed everything up.

Do you have any specific advice for xterm resource settings etc for
better compatibility?   I'm less worried about fonts...I'm comfortable
wrangling them, been using X since the X10R4 (no typo there) days, but
I'm not too concerned with maintaining font appearance compatibility.
It's more keypad stuff, and functionality needed to drive EDT in a
high-efficiency way.

That's going back quite a ways. ;)

  Yes, sadly.   But in my heart and mind, I'm still 22.