[HECnet] My newest toy

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Jan 13 09:17:04 PST 2013

On 13 Jan 2013, at 11:48, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

On 13 Jan 2013, at 16:04, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

...but I don't BUY systems. ;)

You KNOW what I mean ;)

I have.   There's quite an air volume but I would hessitate to call it a
toaster oven.

Okay try this comparison. Stick your hand behind a normal modern Intel PC. Now stick it behind a rx2600/zx6000. See what I mean. It's hot in comparison. It might be the flow is slower and hotter in a zx6000 but you can see where all that electrical energy is ending up :)

On a semi-related note, my six-core AMD system seems to shove out cooler air than my quad-proc es40. ;)

My P4 HT however?   I think the air it outputs is warmer.

I'm not saying Itanium is inefficient as it has a LOT of raw CPU horsepower per Watt but I anm skeptical as to wether it's more efficient than a late Alpha on a per-MHz comparison. Both CPUs get very hot in operation. Both have a LOT of raw power for that draw and per MHz. It's not like comparing a Pentium 4 and an Alpha, for example.

Yup.   My 500MHz Alpha seem to vastly outperform a P4. :)

I'm not in Florida. ;)

No, I know, You're in NY/NJ, I know what 'Sandy' was, 2 of my best friends live in Hoboken. I was using Florida as a comparison as a 'it's hot there most of the year' place. If you'd prefer I use Texas or Louisiana I can do ;)

With regards to performance, the VUPS.COM benchmark (which is probably wildly inaccurate on fast non-VAX hardware) considers my zx6000 (472 VUPs) to be 3 times as fast as my 500Mhz PWS500au (161 VUPs). Even so, that's probably one CPU only on the zx6000 so it's probably 6x faster if you multi-thread. Like I said, though, it's not that accurate on a fast VAX, I doubt it's accurate at all on non-VAX CPUs ;)

Approximate System VUPs Rating :   251.3   ( min: 251   max: 251 ) is my quad 500MHz es40.

It feels like it should be much higher than that. ;)

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo