[HECnet] My newest toy

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sun Jan 13 07:26:38 PST 2013

Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> writes:

On 13 Jan 2013, at 14:17, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

I'll have to plug in my watt meter and see just how much my Itaniums =
do > actually consume; however, bang (CPU speed) for the buck (power
use), = I > would wager that the Itanium is better.

As a ready reckoner, 2 1.3GHz/3.0MB Itanium2s with 1 PSU, 8GB of RAM and
= no graphics board runs at over 250W at IDLE. Under loa you are looking
= into the region of 4-500W. They chuck out a lot of heat too. Not =
something you want to try running in a confined space on a summers day!

2x rx2600 1.5GHz/6.0MB with dual PSU, 16GB RAM run here in my basement.
They are, for their size, the fan-noisiest of the boxes.   I have a rack
with 2xDS20Es (dual PSU) and 2xDS40s (triple) which make significantly
more noise at first power up but then the volume subsides.   There are a
number of other things running here as well.   In winter, my basement is
a comfy 76F (25C) without air.   In the summer, unless some appreciably
long heat-wave hits, these run and don't tax the 3ton air-conditioner.
The electric bill, of course, heats me up when it arrives.

FWIW, it was incredibly quiet and COLD in my basement for about 10 days
late Oct. and early Nov. post Sandy without all of the space heaters.
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG