[HECnet] My newest toy

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sun Jan 13 06:17:28 PST 2013

Stuart Martin <wavey at wavey.org> writes:

I couldn't be happier with the DS10L's performance (mine is the one
Rob's been using). It does make a little too much noise, but even the
missus has become used to it being on the whole time in our study. It
also running with a shadowset on the system disk, which does noticeably
slow it down.

I don't find the DS10L I have here to be too onerously loud.   It's extremely
quiet compared to some other kit here.

A shadow set system disk should not slow things down.   What disks have
you combined to form this shadow set?   If you want to slow it down, put
the system on an IDE which the DS10L provides support for!!!

I'd like an itanium, but I haven't heard of one which is reasonable
enough on the power front to warrant being on for extended periods of
time. The DS10L is around 180W, which is not *too* bad.

I'll have to plug in my watt meter and see just how much my Itaniums do
actually consume; however, bang (CPU speed) for the buck (power use), I
would wager that the Itanium is better.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG