[HECnet] My newest toy

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Sat Jan 12 13:46:11 PST 2013

Ian McLaughlin <ian at platinum.net> writes:

On 2013-01-12, at 1:08 PM, Peter Lothberg <roll at Stupi.SE> wrote:

=20 > I have a "DS20" it;s a 1U alpha box, IDE and SCSI disk
intgerface, two = Alpha > CPU's and two 100M Ethernet.=20 >=20 > What
DEC SW can I run (and who has it?) >=20 > -P

BET:: 42.42 is a DS10L - the baby brother to yours.   This was my first =
(and so far only) forray into Alpha processors.   VMS for Alpha works =
just great on it.   There's a hobbyist image floating around.

Not bad little 1U units.   The IDE is slow but usable.   The sad thing is
that the unit cannot accept more than 1GB of memory (with lid closed).
The little right-angle memory risers permit 2x512GB DIMMs.   Also, you
can not use the 1GB DIMMs that work in the Alpha DS bigger bretheren.
You can, however, populate the DS10L with 4x512GB DIMM if you remove
the right-angle risers.   The problem is that you cannot them close the
DS10L lid.   I know one fellow who nibbled an opening in the lid and
build a cover to maintain proper cooling airflow.

confuced, box is not in my sight, but it has 2G of memory and the
memory sticks are on the mother board. It says compac on it.

-P