[HECnet] Sample DCL code for simple client-server task-to-task comms

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jan 18 08:06:51 PST 2013

On 2013-01-18 07:41, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

Half a year or maybe a year ago. Sampsa was running a program which used PHONE to check who was logged in on various machines. When he tried all machines in area 1, MIM got loads of entries in the log for Sampsa's machine trying to talk with machines that were down.
(I might be remembering things wrong, and I might be mixing things up, but it was not as if MIM crashed or anything because of Sampsa's code, but I asked him to stop, as he was filling up plenty of logs as far as I can remember.)

Yeah, I didn't mean crashed MIM or anything, but caused problems - basically the phone directory just went through the nodelist and did a PHONE DIR to them..If a node was down, the call would fail.

It wasn't a good idea from BQT's side :)

I don't remember all the details now, but I think it was something with the DECnet stack you used which made this worse. I seem to remember trying the same thing myself in various ways I couldn't trigger the logging. Did you run it under Linux, or what was it?