Solaris, was Re: [HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Jan 17 13:26:46 PST 2013

On 17 Jan 2013, at 16:23, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/17/2013 04:18 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I should try OpenIndiana   I hate Sunacle Solaris with a   passion. ;)

I love it, but I can no longer, as of just recently, get patches.

Sunacle refers to post-Oracle. :p

(Does anyone have an account I can use?   I'll be good, I
promise...need it kinda badly)

In server roles, I agree 100%.   For workstations, it's Linux all
the way with me nowadays.   Since I can no longer get fast-enough
SGI hardware, Apple has fucked up OS X so badly that it's (to me)
unusable, and Oracle's Solaris is just so neolithic in its
desktoppy stuff, it'll take a great shift of stuff to move me off
of Linux.   When I switched to it from OS X on the desktop 1.5 years
ago, my productivity pretty much tripled. (admittedly most of that
is due to the type of work I do though)

What did you run on your SGI gear?

IRIX, of course.

Wheeeeeeeee.

For server roles I personally prefer FreeBSD, but that's just a
matter of the fact I feel comfortable working with it.

That's great and all, and it's a great OS< but it's a really shitty
match for SPARC (and Alpha) hardware.   It was shoehorned into place on
both platforms, something that never should've happened.

Ahhh, yeah.   Most of what I do involves PCs, so that'd be why it's my preference.

I'd agree with OS X being unusable now.   I spend a lot of time
tweaking it and making it bend over backwards to do what I want.
Often involving using Terminal.app exclusively with a bunch of X
apps. ;)

That's how I've always used graphical workstations...as a way to get a
buttload of terminal windows.   (that's what they were pretty much FOR in
earlier times!)

I once bent windows in to letting me run Cygwin apps from cmd.exe.   I can't function without a terminal that functions at least somewhat like a UNIX. ;) (command-wise)

I seriously get lost using a GUI file manager. ;)

Yeah, I don't see how anyone deals with that.

I only use it for large drag-and-drop of dissimilar files.