[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 12:50:06 PST 2013

On 01/17/2013 03:42 PM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On 1/17/2013 3:39 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
  It does look promising.   The guy working on SPARC support has run it
on an astonishing array of systems.   His last release was a LiveDVD,
because he hadn't finished the installer yet.   He was supposed to have
finished that recently but hasn't; it's evidently taking longer than he
expected.

He's one guy with a job and a life. It's amazing he's done what he has
so far!

  Actually from what info has been floating around, he has neither a job
nor a life, outside of his work on OI.   If he pulls it off, with the
installer, we'll owe him a great debt of gratitude.

  He was supposed to release his installable code about three weeks ago,
but didn't...not sure why.

I really need to get to trying to get OmniOS built for SPARC.

  I couldn't really "lose interest" on this end; Solaris does
*everything* around here, whether I'm interested or not, and whether
Oracle is sleazy or not.

I'll run something Illumos based over anything Linux based any day of
the week.

  In server roles, I agree 100%.   For workstations, it's Linux all the
way with me nowadays.   Since I can no longer get fast-enough SGI
hardware, Apple has fucked up OS X so badly that it's (to me) unusable,
and Oracle's Solaris is just so neolithic in its desktoppy stuff, it'll
take a great shift of stuff to move me off of Linux.   When I switched to
it from OS X on the desktop 1.5 years ago, my productivity pretty much
tripled. (admittedly most of that is due to the type of work I do though)