[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:12:36 PST 2013

On 17 Jan 2013, at 19:42, Dave McGuire wrote:

For shame.

Sorry, I have nothing to run on it.   If you fix that problem, I'll be
very happy. :)

Use it to heat your bath water, Itaniums should be ideal for that ;)

I installed Linux on it, but it was slower than pissing tar.

Not only that but it doesn't like working all that much, especially
when it comes to desktops and GUIs.

On Itanium you mean?

Yeah, due to the fact mine had a FireGL X1 in it, Linux basically decided it was not playing ball. A Radeon 7500 would fix it (and also in OpenVMS) but alas finding one is a great toil.

OpenVMS 8.4 (2011 version) runs like hot snot on my zx6000 :D I
wouldn't run Debian on it - it's a waste of electricity for just
another Linux box. HP-UX... well lets just say a favourite joke about
THAT was to reverse the H and the P then pronounce it as an acronym
;)

Unfortunately it doesn't run on this machine. :-(   I wish it did.

If it's no HP (I just retyped this part!!) then there's not a huge chance it will work. I don't know if OpenVMS or the HP firmware has the EFI software needed to boot OpenVMS.

Not enough RAM by a long chalk. For a 4-way Itanium you need 8GB
MINIMUM IMHO :)

That depends on what one is doing, I'd imagine. ;)

Itanium eats RAM when doing anything much. Mine came with (hold onto your pants) 24GB of RAM installed in it. It *was* a CAD workstation at an F1 team, but even still... 24GB might be common now in the 64-bit PC era but in 2003 that was actually more RAM than my PC had hard drive space! :P

I use 8GB. In my Integrity box the RAM is banked per CPU, so I have 4GB per socket. I don't know if yours is the same?

I patted my UltraSPARCs (which run at HALF that clock rate)
affectionately on that day.

I miss using my U60 but Oracle took my ball away and now I'm grumpy
:(

Huh?   My UltraSPARCs still run great.   I wouldn't be exchanging email
with you now if they weren't. ;)   Besides, OpenIndiana is on the cusp of
having installable SPARC builds supporting just about every UltraSPARC
in existence.

Yeah, I lost interest when Oracle slammed the door, but if OpenIndiana looks promising on SPARC there may be hop for my Ultra 60 yet :)

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo