[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 11:42:01 PST 2013

On 01/17/2013 02:11 PM, Mark Benson wrote:
Not a damn thing. ;)   It hasn't been powered on in about two
years.

For shame.

  Sorry, I have nothing to run on it.   If you fix that problem, I'll be
very happy. :)

I installed Linux on it, but it was slower than pissing tar.

Not only that but it doesn't like working all that much, especially
when it comes to desktops and GUIs.

  On Itanium you mean?

OpenVMS 8.4 (2011 version) runs like hot snot on my zx6000 :D I
wouldn't run Debian on it - it's a waste of electricity for just
another Linux box. HP-UX... well lets just say a favourite joke about
THAT was to reverse the H and the P then pronounce it as an acronym
;)

  Unfortunately it doesn't run on this machine. :-(   I wish it did.

And this is a quad Itanium2 with like 6GB of RAM at some ungodly
high clock speed!

Not enough RAM by a long chalk. For a 4-way Itanium you need 8GB
MINIMUM IMHO :)

  That depends on what one is doing, I'd imagine. ;)

I patted my UltraSPARCs (which run at HALF that clock rate)
affectionately on that day.

I miss using my U60 but Oracle took my ball away and now I'm grumpy
:(

  Huh?   My UltraSPARCs still run great.   I wouldn't be exchanging email
with you now if they weren't. ;)   Besides, OpenIndiana is on the cusp of
having installable SPARC builds supporting just about every UltraSPARC
in existence.