[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:11:12 PST 2013

On 17 Jan 2013, at 17:36, Dave McGuire wrote:

Not a damn thing. ;)   It hasn't been powered on in about two years.

For shame.

I installed Linux on it, but it was slower than pissing tar.

Not only that but it doesn't like working all that much, especially when it comes to desktops and GUIs.

OpenVMS 8.4 (2011 version) runs like hot snot on my zx6000 :D I wouldn't run Debian on it - it's a waste of electricity for just another Linux box. HP-UX... well lets just say a favourite joke about THAT was to reverse the H and the P then pronounce it as an acronym ;)

And this is a quad Itanium2 with like 6GB of RAM at some ungodly high clock speed!

Not enough RAM by a long chalk. For a 4-way Itanium you need 8GB MINIMUM IMHO :)

I patted my UltraSPARCs (which run at HALF that clock rate)
affectionately on that day.

I miss using my U60 but Oracle took my ball away and now I'm grumpy :(

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo