[HECnet] Benchmarks - WHETSTONE.C

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:44:38 PST 2013

On 15 Jan 2013, at 01:41, sampsa at mac.com wrote:

Somebody was asking for a better benchmark than VUPS earlier, I found WHETSTONE.C on GORVAX which calculates MIPS. Not sure how much better it is than VUPS.COM, but here are some results:

GORVAX (SIMH VAX, on a Core i5)
	Loops: 1000, Iterations: 1, Duration: 5 sec.
	C Converted Double Precision Whetstones: 20.0 MIPS

CHIMPY (DS10)
	Loops: 10000, Iterations: 1, Duration: 2 sec.
	C Converted Double Precision Whetstones: 500.0 MIPS

RHESUS (rx2600)
	Loops: 100000, Iterations: 1, Duration: 4 sec.
	C Converted Double Precision Whetstones: 2500.0 MIPS

I've attached the C source to this message, and will put binaries for all three platforms as well as the source in RHESUS::[.MEDIALIB.WHETSTONE]

The cool thing about this is is compiles on other platforms, so we can do cool stuff like:

- Compare the available MIPS inside an emulator to the available MIPS on the host OS, giving a MIPS:MIPS ratio for emulator code
- Compare directly the power of older CPUs with newer ones and also derive ap erformance MIPS/Watt figure for various systems.
- Find out how incredibly CPUs have advanced in 50 years!

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo