[HECnet] Benchmarks - WHETSTONE.C

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jan 15 09:05:06 PST 2013

On 2013-01-15 17:57, Clem Cole wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
<mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:

      The PDP-11 C compiler is a much later product than any of the stuff
      you talk about here. It's something DEC did in the 90s.

Fair enough - long after   I was paying much attention. Do you know if it
was part of GEM?     The GEM suite allowed N front ends, and Y back-ends.

I don't think it was, but It's hard to say, as it's just one big binary blob to me. However, would the GEM even fit on a PDP-11?

As for PL/1 on 16 bit machines - it was done, particularly with subset
compilers.     Again, I lost interest in it in the early 1980s.   PL/C was
Cornell's version and a number of things like Intel's PL/M for the 8080
appeared, Stanfords PL/360 etc, all show it possible,

The question really was the desire and how far you wanted to go.

Right. I'm sure that with enough work, you can always do it, but I'm curious on how much work. I have a feeling that compilers written in high level languages rapidly expand their requirements...