[HECnet] Ugh

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Jan 15 08:26:09 PST 2013

On 1/15/2013 11:23 AM, Mark Wickens wrote:
On 15/01/2013 16:11, Brian Hechinger wrote:
What am I missing here? My VMS is way too rusty.

$ unzip :== $dka0:[bin]unzip_axp.exe
$ unzip
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\DKA0\
$ dir

Directory DKA0:[BIN]

UNZIP_AXP.EXE;1         VIM-73-AXP.ZIP;1

Total of 2 files.
$

-brian
Works OK for me:

[MSW]SLAVE$ unzip :== $dka0:[bin]unzip_axp.exe
[MSW]SLAVE$ show sym unzip
  UNZIP == "$DKA0:[BIN]UNZIP_AXP.EXE"
[MSW]SLAVE$

Yeah, symbol assignment works, just not when i try to actually run it:

$ unzip :== $dka0:[bin]unzip_axp.exe
$ show sym unzip
  UNZIP = "DKA0:[BIN]UNZIP_AXP.EXE"
$ unzip
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\DKA0\

You don't have a logical name defined for any part of that do you? For example BIN? I once had an issue because I'd defined a drive name logical as DATA which was then being translated. I think that's why using a dollar sign after logical name definitions is good practice for things like drive designators.

no logical named BIN, no.

-brian