[HECnet] HECnet performance....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 9 10:33:18 PST 2013

On 01/09/2013 12:11 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I would like to identify what results in me having rather low FAL
access speeds, however.   I don't know if my network is misconfigured,
or if it's just a result of using real hardware on a remote node.

  Nearly all of the real hardware that I'm aware of on HECnet is
actually very fast; significantly faster than pretty much any emulated
system.   The slowest system I'm aware of on here is my PDP-11/53.

  Keep in mind, on here you've got 600MHz Alphas (performance like a
2.5GHz x86 box but with better I/O) and you've got emulated VAXen
running on 700MHz ARM processors...which do you think will be faster? ;)