MOP vs. Cisco, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 9 10:09:12 PST 2013

On 9 Jan 2013, at 13:05, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/09/2013 01:02 PM, Ian McLaughlin wrote:
I want in on your crazy GRE and DECnet routing setups! ;)

I could install vyatta which is linux-based meaning I could /maybe/
build linux-decnet and have it function as an area router.
Management could also be done via SNMP, but not to the ease of
Cisco.   Thoughts?

I'd use my current router as-is, but FreeBSD lacks DECnet bits. :(

What about using dynamips, a Cisco emulator?   GNS3 is a beautiful GUI
front end for it.   I've never tried decnet through it, but I have
used it to route between several virtual machines.

Dynamips works great, and that might be a
sorta-approaching-maybe-reasonable approach if one already has a VM host
machine somewhere to run it on.   Otherwise...get a Cisco. ;)

I have a VM host with plenty of RAM, CPU, and Disk. :)

It's even on a UPS that can be run on a generator in emergencies.