MOP vs. Cisco, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Jan 9 10:11:57 PST 2013

On 1/9/2013 1:08 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On 9 Jan 2013, at 13:06, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

On 1/9/2013 1:03 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 01/09/2013 12:59 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I want in on your crazy GRE and DECnet routing setups! ;)
    I think of them as quite sane.   If one needs to route, one should, oh
you know, use a router. ;)

I could install vyatta which is linux-based meaning I could /maybe/
build linux-decnet and have it function as an area router.
Management could also be done via SNMP, but not to the ease of Cisco.
Thoughts?
    Get a Cisco.   It's not like they're tough to find, or very expensive.
  And you'll use it essentially forever. (because it will last that long!)
I've got this 4700 sitting here collecting dust. Now that I have the 1841, 1811w and 2851 I seriously doubt I'll ever touch the 4700 again.

Come get it. :)
Where would I need to go? ;)

Easton, PA.

If you aren't familiar with the area, about half way betten NYC and Philly.

-brian