MOP vs. Cisco, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 9 10:04:13 PST 2013

On 9 Jan 2013, at 13:02, Ian McLaughlin <ian at platinum.net> wrote:

On 2013-01-09, at 9:59 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

I want in on your crazy GRE and DECnet routing setups! ;)

I could install vyatta which is linux-based meaning I could /maybe/ build linux-decnet and have it function as an area router.   Management could also be done via SNMP, but not to the ease of Cisco.   Thoughts?

I'd use my current router as-is, but FreeBSD lacks DECnet bits. :(

What about using dynamips, a Cisco emulator?   GNS3 is a beautiful GUI front end for it.   I've never tried decnet through it, but I have used it to route between several virtual machines.

I have absolutely no experience with Cisco stuff, hmmm.   Perhaps I could learn using dynamips, it'd be easier than re-learning all of Vyatta.

Ian