MOP vs. Cisco, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 9 09:59:26 PST 2013

On 9 Jan 2013, at 12:56, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/09/2013 12:51 PM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
    ...and like this from NCP under VMS:

NCP> connect node gw physical address <MAC address> via <circuit-name>

    Note that the MAC address must have its octets delimited by colons
under Linux, and hyphens under VMS.
NCP>connect node gw physical address AA-00-04-00-01-F4 via ISA-0
Console connected (press CTRL/D when finished)

User Access Verification

Username:

  Uhhh...HOLY CRAP!   That works from outside my network?!   Is it working
because you specified the circuit which gave it a path, or because it
gleaned the DECnet area/node address from the (changed-by-DECnet) MAC
address?   I'm guessing the latter. (Peter?)

That was done from EBOLA, sorry to confuse you.

Oh.   Crap.

So, can I get a non-priv account? something standard that we can get
others to add would be nice.
  Yes, maybe username "hecnet"?   "Role" accounts are a horrifically bad
idea in general, but I think one is called for in this case.

Shall we setup shared RADIUS? :-P

Uh, no. ;)

I want in on your crazy GRE and DECnet routing setups! ;)

I could install vyatta which is linux-based meaning I could /maybe/ build linux-decnet and have it function as an area router.   Management could also be done via SNMP, but not to the ease of Cisco.   Thoughts?

I'd use my current router as-is, but FreeBSD lacks DECnet bits. :(