MOP vs. Cisco, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Tue Jan 8 05:59:21 PST 2013

=46rom NCP?   You can't do a "tell node connect..." Type thing can you?   The p=
roblem is MOP isn't routed so a connection to the router would have to happe=
n from something local.

"Tell" speaks NML, cisco only implements Decnet routing and forwaring,
l2 and l3.....

-P

Ian

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-01-07, at 10:02 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/08/2013 12:53 AM, Ian McLaughlin wrote:
The problem with ssh is it's "out of band" as far as hecnet is
concerned. It would be nice if the discovery was purely decnet.
=20
True.
=20
Well, if one can define access lists using DECnet addresses as filter
terms, I'd be ok with that, for nonprivileged access.
=20
I've just verified that a MOP console request works from Linux using
locally-stored authentication on the IOS side to establish a
nonprivileged IOS CLI session on a 7206VXR running IOS 12.3(22), like so:
=20
$ moprc -v <MAC address>
=20
...and like this from NCP under VMS:
=20
NCP> connect node gw physical address <MAC address> via <circuit-name>
=20
Note that the MAC address must have its octets delimited by colons
under Linux, and hyphens under VMS.
=20
                          -Dave
=20
--=20
=20
=20
---
Filter service subscribers can train this email as spam or not-spam here: =
  http://my.email-as.net/spamham/cgi-bin/learn.pl?messageid=3D0AB18D20595911=
E28A4BA96E93ED0201