subnet info, was Re: [HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

sampsa at mac.com sampsa at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 12:14:49 PST 2013

Fair enough, I'll run my Beirut network in area 8..

sampsa

On 8 Jan 2013, at 16:24, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

I'm probably going to come back and make more comments on this later...
However, a couple of points and responses right now...

Eve today, areas do not correspond to adminstrative control that much. There are areas which have several different people responsible for different machines, and atleast I have "sub-delegated" parts of area 1 from time to time.

Yes, we will be running out of areas eventually. Based on the current growth, I'd guess a couple of years at most, and then we're out.

Areas should be used for administrative reasons, and relate less to any geographical constraints. DECnet areas work perfectly fine spanning large distances. "Sub-letting" areas should definitely be a valid approach. Each user in one area can still have their own area router, and their own connections to the rest of HECnet, as long as they also have interconnects within the area.

Data mining is difficult, since there are different systems, with different possibilities of extracting it, and in different formats.

A centralized repository of data is nice in many ways, but it is a headache to manage.
That said, I could be convinced of setting something semi-automatic up. A reasonable way would be for people to give me machines to poll, and then I'd setup an automated process to poll those machines for files in a specific format. I can then create a database out of that, and make it available through the web, as well as over DECnet, and also as a summarized file. Anything would be pretty easy if we just have the data collected.

I already have something of a start for this in the form of my database of nodes in HECnet. I'd need to extend it with more fields, but that would be pretty easy. It's all in Datatrieve today, and that should be accessible over DECnet right now (even though I seem to remember that VMS hosts had some problems with that).

I'm already extracting information from that database for the hecnet web-page on MIM (accessible as Madame).

So, if we can just decide on what we want, and how to make the information available, I'll sit down and write the code to fix it.

	Johnny