[HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Jan 7 19:04:02 PST 2013

On 2013-01-07, at 6:31 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

  Yeah more and more of us are using Ciscos to do this.   We really need
to find a way around this issue that doesn't involve manual maintenance
of routing info.
Perhaps an agreed-upon entry in INFO.TXT ?   That's still manually managed, but it's managed by the individual link owners.

INFO.TXT where? I won't be able to fetch it from the cisco. :)

The "SHOW DECNET NEIGHBOR" and "SHOW DECNET ROUTE" commands are both non-priviledged.   Perhaps we could allow a 'trusted' network mapping daemon the ability to get a remote console on the Cisco and execute and parse these commands?

My plan is to try and get the info via SNMP or the alternative was a non-privledged account doing, well, pretty much that right there. :)

I have a bit more work to do until I'm ready to tackle the cisco issue though.

Hang tight.

-brian

ps: I've used my freakin' brain (hey, it's been known to happen!) and separated the data collection from the data processing in my code. Now I don't have to wait 15 minutes for it to walk the network every time i change something. The data collection code is pretty solid at this point and it's the processing code that's getting the workout currently. This will speed up development TREMENDOUSLY.