[HECnet] Area 48.....

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 7 13:25:50 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Brian Hechinger
Sent: 07 January 2013 19:03
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Area 48.....

On 2013-01-07, at 10:54 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

What kind of cisco tunnel?   I'm curious as to if I could replicate any
of
that setup with open source stuff...
I have a Cisco 7206VXR router that has Cisco's Decnet implementation on
it.   It is now acting as my area router, and connects to Dave's Cisco via
an IP
tunnel.   From what I understand, Cisco's Decnet implementation is
proprietary - not sure if it works well with non-Cisco stuff.

Ian

Cisco's DECnet is, well, DECnet. :)

There is nothing special about the tunnel. It's just a bog standard GRE
tunnel
(or you could use an IPSec tunnel if you wanted to).

The Cisco just talks DECnet on all the links you tell it to.

As far as replicating it, you'd need something that can route DECnet and
can
talk GRE, that's all it would take. Good luck finding that though. :)

One of my plans was to extend the user mode router I wrote to interoperate
with Cisco. I don't believe it is all that hard to do. The code is written
to make this fairly easy.

Regards

Rob