[HECnet] Area 48.....

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Jan 7 11:04:00 PST 2013

On 7 Jan 2013, at 14:02, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

On 2013-01-07, at 10:54 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

What kind of cisco tunnel?   I'm curious as to if I could replicate any of that setup with open source stuff...
I have a Cisco 7206VXR router that has Cisco's Decnet implementation on it.   It is now acting as my area router, and connects to Dave's Cisco via an IP tunnel.   From what I understand, Cisco's Decnet implementation is proprietary - not sure if it works well with non-Cisco stuff.

Ian

Cisco's DECnet is, well, DECnet. :)

There is nothing special about the tunnel. It's just a bog standard GRE tunnel (or you could use an IPSec tunnel if you wanted to).

The Cisco just talks DECnet on all the links you tell it to.

As far as replicating it, you'd need something that can route DECnet and can talk GRE, that's all it would take. Good luck finding that though. :)

My router can talk GRE, but it couldn't route DECnet. :(

-brian