VMS sources (was: Re: [HECnet] NCP-F-NETIO)

Tue Jan 8 12:20:17 PST 2013

Listing or sources you can obtain for a fee are not open source.   What DEC and others did is to provide listings you could read, but you weren't allowed to use or modify the code.   Sources, maybe, but even then I don't think you could hand the resulting executable bits to anyone outside your organization.

On the other hand, there are some interesting cases of code accidentally landing in the public domain, due to having been let out of the building without a copyright notice in place.   Until 1976, that would make it public domain.   I don't think that happened with any DEC software -- I remember being at the receiving end of some very stern lectures about copyright notices.   But it did happen to CDC (in the early mainframe operating system COS) and to IBM (with OS/360).

	paul