VMS sources (was: Re: [HECnet] NCP-F-NETIO)

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Tue Jan 8 11:51:32 PST 2013

G. <gerry77 at mail.com> writes:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:47:03 -0500, you wrote:

Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> writes:=20 >=20 > >What exactly
does that mean?=20 >=20 > I just too a look at the NCP sources.

Sorry for this somewhat off topic message, but I've seen that from time
= to time some chit-chat is allowed...

I've always wondered about VMS sources: how they are actually
distributed today and how much space they take? Is a CD-ROM enough for
everything? = And in which format are they? Just simple text files in a
bunch of directories = or there is something fancier such as some cross
references and indexes?

They are referred to as the OpenVMS LISTING because that's what they are;
the listings from the various assembler, compiler and utilities which are
used to build VMS.

But the main question is: where can they be obtained? Is HP still
selling=   them and how much they would cost? A figure with too many
zeroes, right? :/

You need to first sign and pay for a source listings license agreement.
Back many years ago, IIRC, it was about $2K.   There's then maintenance
that must be paid yearly to get the listings CDs/DVDs when produced.

Depending upon what you do with VMS, these listings are invaluable.
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG