[HECnet] PDP-11 OSes in SIMH

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 8 11:17:10 PST 2013

The parent code base (Locus TNC) been in BSD and Mach before. As I mentioned it was in HP-UX and the Intel SSD Paragon is based on the same code.   Frank Mayhar was at one time working in a FreeBSD port.    Tandem/HP shipped the Unixware version and post merger Bruce started to work on the Linux port -  hence the OpenSSI project.

Assume a Cluster File System for uniform name space (NFS will work to start with but is not good enough in the long run), a membership service (aka CMS) and a cluster wide internode communications service (ICS), the process code can be moved in about 2-3 months of work.   Basically, you have to perform heavy  surgery on the process code and add the vproc layer (think vfs layer that added to support multiple FS).   Once you have a proper hooks, then the process code is pretty much the same - modulo differences in memory systems.

At Locus we had it all in 14 "packages" [with two - CMS & ICS - being required].    The others were ala cart.    Intel took the process technology, DEC primarily took the filing stuff, and  Tandem took  everything.

Clem