[HECnet] DU11 vs. DUV11

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sat Jan 5 17:46:01 PST 2013

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

{...snip...}
One of them is a simple optimization for the PDT-11. It's not strictly
neccesary, but apparently DEC thought the time gain was enough to make
it worth exploiting. Code looks like this:

              .IF DF   L$$SI1

              MOVB       @(R5)+,-(SP)       ;;; COPY CHARACTER FOR WORD MOVE
MOV         (SP)+,(R4)           ;;;   (SAVES 85 USECS ON PDT-11)

              .IFF       ; DF L$$SI1

              MOVB       @(R5)+,(R4)         ;;; OUTPUT A CHARACTER

              .ENDC     ; DF L$$SI1

OK, I'll bite.   Why is moving a character in the deferred location in
R5 to the stack and then, from the stack to the address in R4 faster
than just going from the deferred R5 location to the R4 address?

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG