[HECnet] Raspberry PI and PDP-11 emulation via SIMH

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:30:10 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 2 Jan 2013, at 21:13, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!
I received a Raspberry PI via a starter kit and via birthday gift,
(for those of you who need to know Friday was my 50th birthday). I'd
like to get the PDP-11 portion of SIMH running inside it without too
much of a hassle. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend starting with raspbian, and then installing all the requisites to build simh. Don't use the version in the repos.

Which pi did you receive? The one with 256M RAM or one with 512M RAM?

Incidentally this idea would include one or two physical serial ports.
(Those serial ports would be the usual suspects.) I'm also interested
in including the miscellaneous features, such as the ones called
DR11C, DRV11, or these DR11W, DRV11WA. But I'm not at all sure how to
go about enabling either of those four. The serials seem to be an
almost easy fix, I simply need to connect the serial port functions on
the R.PI GPIO functions to the specific ones in the INI file.

Let me know what you find out, this would be very interesting to see the results of.

I think, mind you, I think, this would be something of a reach. But in
here, I believe I can find the answers.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

Will you be sticking the pi inside of a terminal? ;)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!

Hello!
The R.PI is the 512 version. And it won't be stuck inside a terminal.
Not with what I'm planning for those miscellaneous connectors. It will
be talking to a terminal program however.

I take it the one in the repository is, ah, dated?

As in particulars? I take it you mean installing the things to build
things? Okay. I've already gotten the latest release of Debian on the
R.PI installed and working. I'm more of a Slackware fan. I just
finished about three hours ago dumping one gentleman's latest onto an
8Gig SDHC card and am going to try it possibly tonight.

Oddly enough installing stuff into a Debian based release of Linux is
one reason why I took up with the Slackware set.

I'll certainly let you or the whole group know what happens.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com