[HECnet] Funky file formats, et al...

Tue Jan 1 15:37:29 PST 2013

On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

On 2012-12-31 19:36, Bob Armstrong wrote:
  There   s something else going on here.   I   m not sure who originally
analyzed the file to decide that the format was Stream-CR (although
given that the analysis was done on RSX, we can probably guess :-)

Cool. This is become more weird all the time.
WHat I reported was what was shown when doing a directory over DECnet. It's the information VMS presents. RSX is not really involved.

With DECnet, it is.   DAP sends the information about the files in the directory listing in encoded form, and it's up to the receiving system to decode it correctly and format it for display.   So if you're seeing the wrong attribute, either VMS is sending the wrong DAP code, or RSX is decoding it wrong.   A wire trace along with some reading of the DAP protocol spec will tell you which it is.

	paul