[HECnet] Copying RL02 image under RSX

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 12 17:21:32 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-12 16:46, Bob Armstrong wrote:
    Sounds like I'd better use an error free pack for the output, then.
Fortunately error free RL02s aren't that unusual, even today.

If you can get that, then you're good.

Johnny Billquist (bqt at softjar.se) wrote:
Eh... BAD is a BAD idea in this case.

    I disagree - how else will you know if it's error free?

Well, BAD will do the checking, and with the right switches will tell you what bad blocks it finds, so from that point of view, sure. But do not expect the copy operation to care about what BAD found out. But if you just want a verification that the pack is error free, then sure, it will do that trick for you.

But check the /IMAGE switch to BRU...

    Umm...

	  > HELP BRU /IMAGE

  	BRU>/IMAGE:SAVE         source target
    	                  :RESTORE

	/IMAGE specifies that you want to do a multivolume disk-to-disk
	backup or restore operation.

    Doesn't sound like what I want.   [It's odd - VMS BACKUP has a /IMAGE
option, but it does something entirely different.]

Ok. Checked BRU and /IMAGE is not useful here.
VCP will do the trick for you, but for that you need the latest version of RSX. If you have that, the command is just VCP COPY

All that said, it's about 10 lines of MACRO-11, if you want to keep it very simple.

    I think I'll go crank up the 730 to copy the RL02...

:-)