[HECnet] DECserver management software for VMS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Mon Jun 17 13:46:20 PDT 2013

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

On 06/16/2013 05:12 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Dave McGuire wrote:
I've never heard of it

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/masterindex/installation_guide/installation_guide_
0000b767.txt

  It's basically the VMS kit that contains the DS200 load software, but it
comes with several useful command procedures too.

Neat!   Thanks for the pointer.   I've always just gotten the bare images and
dropped them into place...I guess I never stopped to think of how those
images would've gotten installed in the first place.

When I was a VMS sysadmin, we used a few Emulex terminal servers
("Performance 4000" if memory serves) that were really nice...I don't recall
them having to boot from the network, though.   I have a few of those here
with dead power supplies.   I should send them to Cory. ;)

They did and they had their own kludgy load assist agent for MOP.

Ahh, your memory is better than mine!   Could they boot from the regular MOP
server or did they require that agent?

I don't remember the explicit details.   I recall that Emulex and Xyplex had
tertiary boot loaders.   The DECserver 90s and 700s and 900s began to support
TCP/IP and most sites dropped their Emulex and Xyplex servers at that time.

The Datability (Vista) Terminal Servers had their software in flash.

Never 'eard of 'em.

http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/archive/Computer%20Components%20and%20Accessories/Modems/Datability%20-%20VCP%201000%20Communications%20Server%20Base%20Unit.PDF

Datability chassis could accept modules with 25 pin, 9 pin or MMJ connectors,
as well as 50 pin telco connectors which allowed one to connect a trunk with
a single cable to a harmonica of MMJ connectors at some more remote location.
The number of ports it could support was based upon the number of connectors
that could be housed on the back apron of the module.   The MMJ options offer
the densest port configurations with 32 on each module and 4 modules/chassis.

IIRC, Datability was HQed in Carlstadt, north JoyZee.
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG