[HECnet] DECnet default access on RSX...

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Sun Jun 16 13:58:20 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:51
To: bqt at softjar.se
Cc: hecnet at Update.UU.SE; bob at jfcl.com
Subject: Re: [HECnet] DECnet default access on RSX...

On 2013-06-15 17:03, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Jun 15, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Proxy access is not standardized or documented (at the
protocol level).   I think it's simply this: the access
control fields in the session control protocol are optional.
If they are omitted, it's up to the receiving node to decide
what to do about it (if the application protocol in question
has the notion of access control).   In some systems, the
answer is "reject".   In others, the answer is "use a default
account" (RSTS has this).

Well, proxy is something that needs to be enabled on both
sides for it to work, so it definitely involves passing some
information in the packets. So it has to be documented
somewhere. Keep searching.

I don't think so.   RSTS has no notion of proxy, but I
distinctly remember having proxies on VMS work when accessed
from RSTS with no access control specified.

	paul

I have a proxy from PLUTO::[1,2] to SGC::SYSTEM.   The behavior is
exactly what Paul says it is.

-Steve