[HECnet] Losing my fixed IP

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Sun Jun 16 13:52:53 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Paul_Koning at Dell.com
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:59
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: md.benson at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Losing my fixed IP

On 2013-06-13 08:23, Mark Benson wrote:
Due to the limits on our ability to get internet service of any
decent speed, we're having to change packages meaning we will lose
out fixed IP in November. I'd like to work towards being
able to stay
on HECnet before then using STAR69 to maintain my connection.

Well, do you know if you'll get different addresses often?
Many ISPs give dynamic IP addresses, but you actually stay on
the same address for months, which makes it a rather small
problem. I haven't had a change in address in over 6 months myself.

And even if you do, with dynamic DNS you still have a
hostname that stays fixed.   All you need is for the things
that connect to you, or check your address, to be able to
deal with names.

	paul

This is how the Multi-Watch hook into Multinet works.

-Steve