[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 11 10:36:02 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
Sent: 11 June 2013 09:13
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: Sampsa Laine
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image
ready to run?

Al 11/06/13 10:05, En/na Sampsa Laine ha escrit:
Got some spare cycles/RAM on one of my boxes, would be fun to run
TOPS-20 or Ultrix with DECNET?

Anyone got a working image / HOWTO on getting this going?
For TOPS-20, you can enable DECNET in the panda distribution with not too
much effort. I tried to explain how to do it here:

http://ancientbits.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/ten-over-pi.html

The main problem is the network setup. You will have to work in shared
mode and it can wreck the host machine NIC.

Aren't we mixing up a couple of things here?

The Panda distribution, as far as I know, runs on the KL, which SIMH does
not emulate. SIMH emulates the KS and right now you can't run DECnet on the
KS. There is work being done now to bring the KMC/DUP emulation to SIMH to
allow DECnet to run on the KS. You should contact the SIMH mailing list for
status on this.

Regards

Rob