[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Mon Jun 10 22:39:06 PDT 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

El 10/06/2013, a les 23:17, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> va escriure:

I think I read somewhere than the inspiration for the CP/M commands was
RT-11, not TOPS-10. But, anyway, the RT-11 commands _are_ inspired by
TOPS-10, which. by the way, sound a little bit like OS/8... :)

I haven't read the article (yet), however I'm pretty sure I've seen in the past that CP/M was indeed inspired by TOPS-10, and nothing else.

God knows if I can dig up any sources of that, though...

The wikipedia is not a 100% reliable source, but...

"CP/M's command line interface was patterned after the operating systems from Digital Equipment, such as RT-11 for the PDP-11and OS/8 for the PDP-8."

I don't know OS/8.   But pre-DCL RT-11 (for example, V2) had a command language very similar to that of TOPS-10.   For that matter, you can still see it today in the RT11 RTS that comes with RSTS/E (not surprising because that was written by Anton Chernoff, who also worked on RT11-FB V2 among other things).

	paul