[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 10 18:29:42 PDT 2013

On 2013-06-10 19:23, Joe Ferraro wrote:
Did anyone see another announcement, separate from the above attached
roadmap from Ric Lewis? In his letter, it states:

"We are committed to providing you updates and support for the V8.4
OpenVMS operating environment through /at least/ December 31, 2020." (my
italics)

Surely /The Register/ did not base its article on this alone. Its not
seemingly unlike HP to publish this type of "at least / until" roadmap
for other technologies (e.g. Itanium).

There has been some more meat if you search around. I think some was posted to this list a couple of days ago. Essentially HP have said that the VMS will not be ported to the "new" Poulson chip. Support for anything other than VMS V8.4 will cease within a few years, and 8.4 will be supported until at least 2020. They have published the roadmap, and there is no mention of any new version, and they have said they will not add new hardware. What more do you need? :-)