[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 08:54:13 PDT 2013

I cant say I'm exactly shocked. HP are 8n serious trouble and are shedding stuff to try and stop sinking.

I wonder when Hobbyist licenses will cease issuing...

"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

This just came in from a friend of mine:

"Ric Lewis at HP sent out a letter basically saying VMS is dead.
Support up through 2020, but 2016 is the last sale of VMS-
supported hardware."

Now, of course, "will only be sold for 2.5 more years and will only
be supported for 6.5" doesn't exactly say "dead" to me; it says "WILL
EVENTUALLY BE dead", but still, this does kinda suck.  But it's awesome
that it lasted this long.  From 1978 until 2020 is a great run in this
industry.  And I'll be running it, God willing, well after that. (if I'm
still breathing!)

I do hope those who have sources (or at least, source listings) will
be able
to preserve them.   (hint hint)

Nudge nudge.  Wink wink.  Say no more.

HP:  Hopelessly Pathetic.