[HECnet] Couple of Unix/DECnet questions

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jun 12 18:58:19 PDT 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Tony Blews wrote:

Hi all,
I've got a couple of questions concerning Linux and Ultrix and DECnet.

So, in rough order...

1) Is there an easy way to copy the node list into the
/etc/decnet.conf filewithout a lot faffing about and making the file
up manually?

Yes...but I can't remember the name of the script.

dncopy I believe?

*
*
*2) How can I get DECnet back into the Raspbian kernel without recompiling
the whole thing? I haven't recompiled a Linux kernel for about 16 years, so
I pretty much have so idea what I'm doing.

Even if you'd compiled one a month ago you wouldn't know what you're doing considering how often it changes. ;)

You can build a single module from the kernel source...I can never remember how however.   I want to say make M=net/decnet (change to real path) from the root of the kernel source tree though.   No idea if there's even ARM support in the module.

*
*3) (Ok, three is not a couple, except in certain *special* circumstances)
Has anyone managed to get DECnet working with Ultrix 4.0 and SimH? Where
can I get some licenses from?*

I have gotten it working.   I used a thing to...generate licenses for it as I do not have any.

4) (Proving that I really can't count) Is HECnet broke at the moment?

Tony.

*

*

--