[HECnet] Couple of Unix/DECnet questions

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Wed Jun 12 14:46:34 PDT 2013

Al 11/06/13 23:20, En/na Tony Blews ha escrit:
Hi all,
I've got a couple of questions concerning Linux and Ultrix and DECnet.

So, in rough order...

1) Is there an easy way to copy the node list into the /etc/decnet.conf file without a lot faffing about and making the file up manually?
I use an awk script to convert the output of a LIST KNOWN NODES to SET NODE commands (to feed the SETNOD utility):

/^Remote node/   {
                                               nodnaml = length($5);
                                               nodnam = substr($5, 2, nodnaml-2);
                                               printf("SET NODE %s NAME %s\n", $4, nodnam);
                               }

It should be quite easy to generate the decnet/linux nodetable instead.

2) How can I get DECnet back into the Raspbian kernel without recompiling the whole thing? I haven't recompiled a Linux kernel for about 16 years, so I pretty much have so idea what I'm doing.
AFAIK you can't. So yes, you have to rebuild the kernel. And its painful (it used to be easier). On the other hand, I'm not sure it is worth to do it. Routing is severily broken, and endnode is not really so useful.
4) (Proving that I really can't count) Is HECnet broke at the moment?

It seems there have been power issues with Johnny's site, but other than that it is working for me.