[HECnet] Licensing problem.

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Jun 5 00:38:21 PDT 2013

Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> writes:

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
<system at tmesis.com> wrote:
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

You changed the IP address of the host machine running simh, and that
buggered your VMS licenses?

I find that very difficult to wrap my brain around.   VERY difficult.

Especially, since SYS$GRANT_LICENSE doesn't know diddly about TCP/IP or
DECnet.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

Hello!
Remember gang stranger things have happened. Incidentally Dave despite
the fact that your still surrounded by yetis, they had nothing to do
with the problem.

If the PAK, the correct PAK, is loaded into the LMF database, then VMS will
create a a kernel mode logical of the name LNM$<PRODUCER>_<PRODUCT> in the
table LMF$LICENSE_TABLE.   The SYS$GRANT_LICENSE system service looks for the
kernel mode logical and translates its encoded equivalence string to valid-
ate the license.   Unless there is some TCP/IP or DECnet information encoded
in the PAK -- it would have to be in the TOKEN or HARDWARE_ID components of
said PAK -- there is nothing that ties a PAK to any network addressing.   In
fact, it would be stupid to do so.   DEC/Compaq/H PAK requirements have been
very minimalistic too.   Basically, if a PAK called LMF$<PRODUCER>_<PRODUCT>
exists, you are licensed to use said <product>.

Even *IF* a PAK had TOKEN or HARDWARE_ID components, it is up to the code
that invokes SYS$GRANT_LICENSE to enforce that which it has extracted from
the TOKEN or HARDWARE_ID components

Sorry but this is NOT the forum to discuss the weaknesses of the VMS LMF. ;)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG