[HECnet] Trying to build SIMH from git (on OpenIndiana)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Mar 21 06:20:43 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-21 14:02, Clem Cole wrote:
That said, in amazes me that today, Linus still rejects the idea of
ukernel.     The benefits are so much better than the cost, and tricks
like universe are not needed and IMO easier to manage.   To this day, if
I have to deal with Winders, I install whatever MSFT calls "SFU" these
days - where is the posix system call layer and Unix utilities for the
NT ukernel.

As much as I am a fan of what Linux has done for the market (because I'm
basically a UNIX junkie at heart), I personally think that it is
interesting to note that the most popular OSs in total installed base
(Winders, MacOS and iOS) are based on uKernels and only Linux is a hold
out.

Can't comment much about Windows (I know way too little), but OS X is not really a microkernel either. They call it a "hybrid", whatever that might mean. OS X is cruft on top of Darwin. Darwin has a BSD API. Darwin in turn sits on top of XNU. XNU is parts of Mach, and parts of (Free)BSD. All the BSDs are very monolithic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU