[HECnet] Help to identify tap file format

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 06:48:52 PDT 2013

On 17 Mar 2013, at 12:49, Johnny Billquist wrote:

PIP LB:[1,6]SYSSCAN.TMP;1/RM

Noted for future reference :)

That happened at reboot - maybe something to do with the system accounting (not that I have much of an idea what that is)?

By the way:
.err 334
000334 (-36): %I/O-F-IE.SQC, file ID, sequence number check

Just in case you want to know. :-)

Fascinating... I assume that translates to something like "the file system says it's there but it's not there!" :)

System accounting is essentially the keeping track of how much CPU time each user consumes, how many pages printed, how many I/Os done, and so on...

Oh, so it's a system audit process, similar to VMS. I got it.

And yes, the error have everything to do with accounting. The accounting subsystem keeps a snapshot on a temporary file while running. The idea is that in case of a system crash, you'll have a fairly accurate snapshot to pick up after reboot. But occasionally, you'll get unlucky, and the file has been deleted, but the directory entry is still there.

Oh. That's a quaintly analogue system. "It may be able to provide a snapshot... if it works... and the file hasn't disappeared."

I suspect the reason is I don't actually know how to cleanly shutdown RSX-11M+. I vaguely remember something about a SHUTUP command?

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo