[HECnet] Help to identify tap file format

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Mar 17 05:45:58 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-17 12:55, Oleg Safiullin wrote:
Mark Benson wrote:

11:37:20   SYSLOG -- 70. *ERROR* On scan file open
11:37:20   SYSLOG -- 4. FCS I/O error code = 334
file: DU0:[???,???]SYSSCAN.TMP;1

Try to boot system, press CTRL/Z at the `Please enter time and date'
prompt, and type the following commands:

>CHD 1 6
>PIP SYSSCAN.TMP;*/RM
>INS $VFY
>VFY LB:/LO
>DEL [1,3]*.*;*
>BOO [1,54]

Actually, you don't need to be that drastic.
SYSSCAN.TMP is a snapshot of the current processes on a running system. It's done every 5 minutes.
If the system was brought down uncleanly, it is possible that the directory entry stays around, even though the file is deleted. That is when this error occurs.

The solution is actually just to remove the directory entry.

So:
PIP LB:[1,6]SYSSCAN.TMP;1/RM

and you're done. The next round, the file will be created anew, and everything is happy.

VFY scanning for lost files can be done on a running system. No need for a reboot, or doing it on an idle, just booted system.
Any lost files are indeed placed in [1,3]. Cleaning everything out from there should perhaps be done with care. Check that you don't have anything there that you might actually want to keep.