[HECnet] Vt100 tester

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Mar 7 05:46:43 PST 2013

On 2013-03-07 12:45, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:
Al 07/03/13 00:59, En/na Johnny Billquist ha escrit:
I hope you are aware of the fact that telnet by default is not 8-bit
clean. :-)
Well, sort of. The same xterm configuration displays (and inputs) 8 bit
characters if I telnet to a linux box...

That is probably because at connection time, telnets negotiate the capabilities between them. You can get very different behavior depending on what you have on each side.

I think it is related to the usage of UTF-8 in the unix machine... I
have reconfigured my ubuntu laptop to use ISO-8859-15 and it now _seems_
to work.

Ah. That is another issue. If your terminal (xterm in this case) is configured to use UTF-8, then you will not work well against a machine that do not use UTF-8 (it's a mess).