[HECnet] Vt100 tester

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Wed Mar 6 14:46:45 PST 2013

Hello list,

I have been following this discussion about terminal emulators and I have decided to give xterm a(nother) try. I have built an .XResources file with this content:

XTerm.vt100.decTerminalID: 220
XTerm.vt100.allowScrollLock: True
XTerm.vt100.appkeypadDefault: True
XTerm.vt100.backarrowKey: False
XTerm.vt100.c132: True
XTerm.vt100.cursorBlink: True
XTerm.vt100.fontWarnings: 1
XTerm.vt100.geometry: 80x25
XTerm.vt100.faceName: lucida console
XTerm.vt100.faceSize: 12.0
XTerm.vt100.utf8: false
XTerm.vt100.locale: ISO8859-1
XTerm.vt100.keyboardType: vt220
XTerm.vt100.keyboardDialect: Z

(The "Z" keyboard dialect corresponds to the spanish DEC keyboard)

Now it seems to work quite well displaying stuff, and the keypad and the rest of application keys work, BUT the 8 bit spanish/catalan symbols DO NOT. What is curious about this is if I connect to a linux/OSX system the 8-bit stuff works (characters like   ,   ,   ,    and vowels with tilde). But as soon as I connect to an VMS machine it DOES not. It seems to drop the highest bit.

The .Xresources configuration is the final one I worked on (the keyboardType and keyboardDialect are late additions, just to try to fix it). I have not been able to make it work with the local keys...

Any idea?

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons
jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
HECnet: BITXOV::JGUILLAUMES