[HECnet] Vt100 tester

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Tue Mar 5 12:11:33 PST 2013

On 5.3.2013 13:17, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kari_Uusim=E4ki?= <uusimaki at exdecfinland.org> writes:

It is called PowerTerm and it was included in the last Pathworks 32 kits.
It is produced by Ericom. An Israeli company, indeed.

Ericom is Headquartered here in Closter, New Jersey.

I won't argue, but I assume you mean the US Headquarters.
If you look at the Ericom's management page, there's definitive evidence about the Israeli origin.

You can still buy it from Ericom's resellers. Nowadays, it is called
PowerTerm Interconnect.
Btw. It is a lot cheaper than e.g. Reflection.

But their support and responsiveness to problems is poor.   I tried to
get the PowerTerm for Linux to pass some of the more basic VTTEST and
their support never bothered to even respond other than the automated
"we've received your support request" emails.

I'm surprised!

Last year we were working on a MPE (HP3000) project and found a bug in PowerTerm (HP 700 emulation). When I reported it to the Ericom support, I got an answer the next day and the issue was fixed in a week.

I've been using PowerTerm since it became a part of the Pathworks 32 kit and never had issues. Maybe I am not a real power user since I use it for regular system management, as a console terminal for VAXen, Alphas and many other RISC machines plus console connections to (DEC and other brands) network equipment.

I cannot tell anything about the Linux version, because I've not tested it. Just the windows version.