[HECnet] Personal DECstation 5000/25

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 13:57:04 PST 2013

On 01/03/2013 17:02, Ian McLaughlin wrote:
Mark,
I've grabbed the image from you - thanks!   I look forward to seeing the patches also, once you've got slave online.

As with most hardware this age, the clock battery has died.   Unfortunately, this module is soldered to the motherboard.   The original module is a DS1287.   I have a DS12887 spare, but I can't tell if it's compatible without soldering it in.   In most cases the DS12887 is a suitable replacement, but I can't find any discussion of anyone trying in a DECstation.   Any chance anyone here has tried?

I would normally install a socket, but this module lives just underneath the CPU board, and there's not enough clearance to add a socket.   Whatever replacement goes in will have to be soldered.
They never make life easy do they?

I'm guessing my 5000/240 probably needs a new battery by now!